Music Composition Audition Requirement
1. Major Application Requirements
Submit at least two (2) original compositions with any instrumentation. Applications should include scores to accompany the pieces and recordings (audio or MIDI) if possible [CD recording or file].
2. Written Exam (1 hour)
Applicants will be given a choice of several incomplete melodies. From these, they will choose one melody and continue it in a similar style for at least two (2) more phrases. Applicants will also add an accompaniment that compliments the completed melody in harmony, counterpoint, and texture.
The exam will last one (1) hour and use of a piano is allowed.
3. Audition (In Person or Video Interview for International Applicants)
1) The composition and Theory Faculty will discuss the submitted works (if any) with the applicant. If a video recorded application, the person responsible for videotaping the exam should then ask them to speak about their interest in composition (about how the pieces they submitted were composed, how they became interested in composition, favorite composers/pieces, future plans, etc.) or connect to the composition faculty via a video conferencing platform (Skype, Webex, Zoom).
2) Demonstrate basic musicianship on the piano or primary instrument:
a. Scales and arpeggios in three (3) major and minor keys (two octaves).
b. Prepare a short excerpt (not less than two (2) minutes) to play on the piano or their primary instrument. This excerpt may come from any piece in the repertoire.
3) In addition, the faculty or video interviewer may assess the applicant’s musicianship through basic melodic/rhythmic questions, including interval or chord identification by playing a collection of pitches at the piano. Applicants should also be prepared to answer questions pertaining to their interest in composition.
Thailand International Music Examination: TIME
1. How to apply with the TIME score
In order to study here, prospectus students should obtain a required result of TIME. The applicant will need to apply for TIME for Thai Music theory, Music Theory, and Aural training. Requirement will depend on the major areas of application.
If the applicant did not pass the TIME (<60%), but qualify for other areas, the applicant will be admitted to the college under condition and will be placed in the music foundation course as indicated in the program curriculum. However, applicant is allowed to re-take TIME and if the result is more than 60%, the applicant can submit the result for an update score.
2. TIME Subjects to use for College of Music admission
|Program / Major||TIME |
| TIME |
|Bachelor||Classical Music Performance||–||submit Grade 12||submit Grade 12|
|Jazz||–||submit Grade 12||submit Grade 12|
|Thai and Eastern Music||submit Grade 12||submit Grade 5||–|
|Popular Music||–||submit Grade 12||submit Grade 12|
|Music Composition||–||submit Grade 12||submit Grade 12|
|Musical Theater||–||submit Grade 12||submit Grade 12|
|Music Education and Pedagogy (Western)||–||submit Grade 12||submit Grade 12|
|Music Education and Pedagogy (Thai)||submit Grade 12||submit Grade 5||–|
|Music Business (Western)||–||submit Grade 12||submit Grade 12|
|Music Business (Thai)||submit Grade 12||submit Grade 5||–|
|Music Technology (Western)||–||submit Grade 12||submit Grade 12|
|Music Technology (Thai)||submit Grade 12||submit Grade 5||–|
3. Applicants can purchase an application form, handbook, and register at
1) TIME, branch MCGP Seacon Square Srinakarin Tel.: 02 7219894 – 7
2) TIME, branch MCGP Seacon Square Bangkae Tel.: 02 4582680
3) TIME, branch MCGP Siam Paragon Tel.: 02 1294542 – 6
4) College of Music Shop, Salaya Tel.: 02 8002525 # 2504, 2505
4. TIME exams are available both on-site and online. (Please check before applying)
Contact TIME for more Information (on-site/online): www.timemusicexam.com
mobile phone no. 081 918 5381, call no. 02 4582680
Contact TIME for submit scores TIME: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
|Major||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||All Program|