About Conducting Department
- The Choir There are auditions to select students for the Symphonic Choir, Men’s Choir and the Chamber Choir. Each choir is comprised of about 70 members. There are regular concert: concerts during the semester, concerts outside of the university such as concerts at the Thailand Cultural Centre, at The Stock Exchange of Thailand, at Alliance Français, and at Arnoma Hotel. Some of the Pop Orchestra members are consistently invited to perform with the Choir in many events. The performance ranges from classical music, operas, and pop music.
- The Strings Chamber Orchestra There are auditions to select students for the Orchestra which is comprised of mainly string instruments. The performances are, for the most part, classical music and light classical music.
- Wind Bands
The Mahidol University Wind Band Program is comprised of three performing ensembles, the Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band, and Young Artist Band. All three ensembles provide the highest quality musical experiences for students by rehearsing and performing quality music written by prominent composers. Performing in a band at Mahidol University provides challenging musical opportunities and experiences that are relevant to those who are planning on careers in music.
- Wind SymphonyThe Mahidol Wind Symphony is a band of 50 highly qualified graduate and undergraduate students, chosen by audition, and performs a varied repertoire of the highest quality literature for winds. Members of the Wind Symphony will also perform concerts of chamber winds repertoire each semester. The Wind Symphony is dedicated to professional level performance while fostering the musical growth of its members.
- Symphonic BandThe Mahidol Symphonic Band is a select ensemble of approximately 80 musicians, chosen by audition. The Symphonic Band provides a challenging musical environment for skilled performers by performing repertoire that ranges from works for chamber winds, to standards of the band literature, to brand-new works for the medium.
- Young Artist BandThe Young Artist Band is a 70-member ensemble comprised of the most talented younger musicians on campus. Students are able to join the band without audition. The band provides an educational experience and serves as a musical outlet for students who wish to remain musically active in a less intense setting.
- The Pops OrchestraThe band gathers together vocalists and musicians in all fields and is comprised of every type of musical instruments: strings, woodwind, saxophone, brass, piano, and the rhythm section. The band has been invited to concerts organized on special occasions such as celebration of an institution’s establishment, concert of revolutionary songs. Also, the band has been invited to function as accompaniment for musical theatres, etc. Special preparation in every function is emphasized when it comes to performances of this band. Each process is meticulously arranged as the band is comprised of a large number of members and as the band tends to be invited to perform mostly in special occasions.
Dr. Thanapol Setabrahmana
Chair of Conducting and Ensemble Department
02-800-2525-34 #1213 firstname.lastname@example.org
02-800-2525-34 #1213 email@example.com
Yuttapon Sakthamcharoen, Pop Orchestra
02-800-2525-34 #5408 firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Rit Subsomboon
02-800-2525-34 #1215 email@example.com