TIJC Performance Series
Well known for bringing in superb-quality jazz music, TIJC will, again, feature the greatest jazz musicians of our time from all over the world.
TIJC Education Series
Following the successful TIJC 2009 - TIJC 2017, it's time to get inspired and get your knowledge tank fulfilled once again!!!
TIJC Solo Competition
TIJC solo competition is a jazz improvisation competition with reliable and comprehensible performance regulations using internationally recognized adjudicators.
TIJC Jazz Camp
Find out all you need to know to progress your Jazz skills far forward in our new TIJC JAZZ CAMP during January 22-24, 2018.
Update: December 1, 2017
Remark* EN = English with Thai Translation
*The program is subject to change without notice*
Incorporating Blues in your Jazz playing
The workshop will cover various uses of Blues scales and inflections to enhance improvisation over several types of jazz tunes, and will include Blues phrases for the students to learn.
This session will look at ways to introduce drum and percussion concepts from a wide range of musical genres into Jazz.
Kevin will discuss his approach to these two related but functionally different aspects of musical development.
Will will talk about the various roles that are required of musicians these days: bandleader, sideman, composer, arranger, educator, and take questions on ways to develop aspects of one's musicianship that are lacking.
In this workshop Alfredo Rodriguez will explain and demonstrate various aspect of his approach to jazz piano playing. Topics may range from the basic of jazz playing to the stylistic issue regarding his particular jazz style.
Orlando will talk about and demonstrate techniques he's developed to help him generate the ideal bass line for any situation, such as walking, funk bass lines etc, discussing harmony, rhythm, comping principles and use of space.
Comping and ensemble playing. Mike will discuss issues relating to comping on the guitar vs piano, and finding your role in...
Munir Hossn and Gene Coye will explain and demonstrate about the role of bassist and drummer in jazz ensemble of various styles, including from traditional jazz to a more modern and latin style.
Enrico Zanisi's workshops are mainly focused on improvisational technics and the development of creative playing, especially when dealing with a specific musical material. Learning how to improvise means knowing the musical codes that allow us to to express ourselves, each time with a new approach. A jazz musician, an improviser, has to carefully pay attention to many details, depending on the context. For this reason the study of improvisation is essential, as well as the listening of the great masters or the constant practice, alone or in a band. Jazz is a language and needs time and passion, fun and dedication. In our language a musician is an improviser and a composer at the same time, and this should never be forgot.
Jared Sims and West Virginia University students will demonstrate how to use the rhythm of a tune for the melodic structure of improvisation.
Lorenzo's workshop is intended for drummers of all ages of any level
and style, various topics will be covered: technique, improvisation, polyrhythmy, coordination and independence and various styles: from Jazz to odd times to Funk. The goal of the Tucci's workshop is to identify and enanche the potential of each individual student making it creative and ready for any musical situation. Lorenzo Tucci will speaks about rhythm, with his drumsticks and drums, going from swing to 3/4 all in the air. For him:" The polyrhythmy is like a painting by Escher, "First you see a bird, then a fish". To play the drums like any other instrument, takes passion !!!
Luca teaches at Conservatory of L'Aquila (Italy), on his double bass workshop he will explain some of the basic rules of the bass player sound: the use of the right hand and some notions about the right way to amplify an acoustic upright bass, the intonation (with the left hand), time, swing and the rhythmic approach in general. Other aspects that
will be discussed are the comping and the soloing. Luca addresses all the fundamentals of double bass performance.
Claudio Filippini is a refine teacher, he has students from all over the world that have found in his method an inspirational way of approaching piano. Each lesson is a journey. Filippini brings out the student's own voice and valorize their own sound in a complete work of harmony, melody and rhythm. In the lesson we will talk about different styles that have characterized the history of jazz piano, exercises of modern technique, how to re-harmonize a melody, exercises of independence between the two hands, how to develop creativity through evocative images but above all we will understand the joy of making music together transmitting a strong message to the audience by learning how to be communicative in the most simple and honest way.
MANRAT SRIKARANONDATIJC 2009 LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
PRATAK FAISUPAGARNTIJC 2010 LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
SARAYOUT SUPANYOTIJC 2011 LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
VICHAI EUNGAMPORNTIJC 2012 LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
MONGKORN PEEKAEWTIJC 2013 LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
METAWAT SAPSANYAKORNTIJC 2014 LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
VINAI SOTTHIBANDHUTIJC 2015 LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
TANIS SRIGLINDEETIJC 2016 LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
OSOTH PRAYOONVEJTIJC 2017 LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
After the great accomplishment of the launch of the brand new "Thailand International Jazz Conference (TIJC) Jazz Camp 2017" last year, TIJC seeks to continue its success with the upcoming "TIJC Jazz Camp 2018" during Monday 22 to Wednesday 24 January, 2018. With its pleasurable and supportive environment, the TIJC Jazz Camp 2018 will offer all participants great chances to meet, perform with, and learn from the world-class masters, which include Saxophonist Will Vinson, Double bassist Orlando le Fleming, Drummer Henry Cole, Guitarist Mike Moreno , Pianist Kevin Hays.During the three days, TIJC Jazz Camp programme includes a variety of Jazz topics in various forms, from instrumental masterclass, instrumental techniques, Jazz composition, to some musical experience sharing from our prominent faculties. Moreover, all TIJC Jazz Camp's participants will also be entitled of joining ALL TIJC activities held during Friday 26 January to Sunday 28 January, 2018, which include concerts and workshops by outstanding Jazz artists/educators
Two Schemes those interested in TIJC Jazz Camp can choose to participate in one of the two schemes - Academic Credit (ACr) or standard Non-Credit (NCr) Scheme.
1. Academic Credit Scheme (ACr): The Academic Credit Scheme is an exceptional opportunity for collegiate students seeking to gain academic credits. Upon successful completion of TIJC Jazz Camp: ACr (as explained below), a TIJC Jazz Camp Participation Certificate and an academic transcript showing the credits earned and grade result will be issued to the participants. The credit gained from joining TIJC Jazz Camp can be transferred depending on the related regulations of the participant's home institution. The completion of TIJC Jazz Camp (2 credit hours) in the ACr scheme requires a total of 30 hours of participation in the educational activities during the TIJC week, including:
- 12 hours of joining Jazz workshops/masterclasses during the TIJC Jazz Camp (Monday 22 to Wednesday 24 January, 2018)
- 15 hours of joining Jazz activities held in the Music Auditorium, College of Music, Mahidol University during TIJC Jazz Education Series (10:00 a.m. - 06:00 p.m., Friday 26 January - Sunday 28 January, 2018)
- 3 hours of TIJC Jazz Camp Review Session. Participants must take part in and successfully pass the Review Session. The "Pass" result in the Review Session requires the participants to turn in the review paper and be fully engaged in Review Session discussion, which is to be held at Room 113, College of Music, Mahidol University. Those interested in participating in ACr scheme but not studying at the College of Music, Mahidol University, should consult their regulations and information regarding academic credits to ensure that the credit earned from TIJC Jazz Camp can be transferred to their home university/college.
2. Non-Credit Scheme (NCr): The Non-Credit Scheme is ideal for those seeking to expand their musical ability and not to gain academic credits. Upon successful completion of TIJC Jazz Camp: NCr (as explained below), a TIJC Jazz Camp Participation Certificate will be issued to the participant. The completion of TIJC Jazz Camp in the NCr scheme requires a total of 12 hours of TIJC Jazz workshop activities during the TIJC Jazz Camp (Monday 22 - Wednesday 24, January 2018)
For both schemes, it is required that participants must attend at least 80% of the classes provided. During Jazz Camp Period (Mon - Wed): For All Participants, at least ten (10) hours of participation during Mon - Wed Period is required. Failure to meet this minimum requirement will disqualify the participant from receiving the TIJC Jazz Camp Participation Certificate and, hence, will result in unsuccessful completion of the course (Grade of F) for ACr schemes. During TIJC Education Series Period (Fri - Sun): Only for ACr Scheme, at least twelve (12) hours of participation during Fri - Sun (daytime sessions in Auditorium) Period is required. Failure to meet this minimum requirement will result in unsuccessful completion of the course (Grade of F, for ACr scheme).
TIJC Jazz Camp Schedule (Required for all participants)
Buy tickets at the venue or Prince Mahidol Hall Ticket Office Tel: 02-849-6565/6, Ext. 6604, 6609
or Activity Office Tel 02-800-2530 Ext. 3117, 3109
or visit at www.thaiticketmajor.com
E-mail : email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
(Mahidol University Training Hotel, Salaya, Nakhon Pathom)
Located on the campus of Mahidol University.
Telephone: + (66) 2441 – 0568M
Fax: + (66) 2441-0554
Located on the campus of Mahidol University.
Telephone: + (66) 2889 - 3892 # 4000, 4001
Telephone: + (66) 2444-6655, 087-544-3333
98 Moo3 Salaya-Bangpasi Rd., A.Phuthamonthon, Nakhonpathom, 73170 Thailand
Telephone: + (66) 2 429-8066
Fax: + (66) 2 429-8070
59 Moo 4 Salaya Phutthamonthon Nakhon Pathom 73170
Telephone: + (66) 2-889-3848, (0)81-911-5866
Telephone: + (66) 2 444-6699
Fax: + (66) 2 444-66490
T-Shirt available at College Shop, College of Music, Mahidol University
Tel 02-800-2530 Ext. 2504,2505
E-mail : email@example.com