Date(s) - 04/10/2018 - 19/12/2018
Mahidol University College of Music Presents The 11th Thailand International Jazz Conference Solo Competition 2019
Application Deadline: December 19, 2018
RULES & REGULATIONS
1. ELIGIBILITY: TIJC Solo Competition is categorized into two divisions.
– Open Division (Type A): The competition is open to all age, all nationality.
– Junior Division (Type B): Competitor must be under 22 years of age with a birth year not before the year 1997. Competitor can be of any nationality.
– Junior Division (Type B) Competitor can also apply for Open Division (Type A).
– Competitor can apply for more than one instrument.
– TIJC Competition is opened only for instruments capable of creating melody (i.e. Instruments with musical pitches).
2. REGISTRATION FEE
– Open Division (Type A): 800 Baht / Instrument
– Junior Division (Type B): 500 Baht / Instrument
– Competitor who applies in two divisions (Type A and Type B) must pay registration fee for both divisions
– All correspondence and application forms should be sent to: Thailand International Jazz Conference 2019 :Solo Competition Activity Office, College of Music, Mahidol
University 25/25 Salaya, Phuttamonthon, Nakornpathom 73170 , Thailand
– Payment can be made directly at the Activity Office, College of Music, Mahidol University, or via bank transfer to the following account.
Name Account: College of Music
Account No: 333-2-10822-1
Tel.: +662 411 9134-7
Swift Code: SICOTHBK
– In case of bank transfer, please send your pay in slip by fax. To +662 800 2530
3. AUDITION / PERFORMANCE PROCEDURES: The competition consists of two rounds.
a. Recording Audition Round
– Competitors must submit a live recording of his / her performance of two jazz songs
– one swing and one non swing (ballad or latin). Recordings should be in one of the digital audio format (audio CD, MP3, WMA, and Wave File are acceptable) with good sound quality. Video recordings are not accepted.
– The recording must be submitted in a CD or DVD. Clearly label on the CD / DVD and CD / DVD case with your name / last name, telephone number, and song title. Your submitted CD / DVD will NOT be returned.
– Each song submitted for Audition must at least consist of Head in, Solo, and Head out. Total length of the sound recordings must be no longer than 15 minutes. Recordings of each song must be of the complete live performance and not edited in any way. Recorded songs must be accompanied by at least one instrument.
– Applicant must attest that the submitted sound recording is of the applicant’s performance and that the songs have not been edited in any way. Submission of a recording of any other player or an edited recording will result in immediate disqualification.
b. Final Round
In the final round, each competitor is required to perform one song. The performed song will be randomly drawn on stage before the song performance. Lists of the songs for each type are as follows;
Open Division (Type A): The competitor will be called to play one of the songs below (by random drawing)
|Lazy Bird||John Coltrane||G|
|Star Eyes||Gene DePaul||Eb|
|Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off||George Gershwin||Eb|
Junior Division (Type B): The competitor will be called to play one of the songs below (by random drawing)
|Easy to Love||Cole Porter||C|
|This Can’t Be Love||Richard Rodgers||F|
|As Long As I Live||Harold Arlen||F|
The time limit for each competitor is 10 minutes. This includes stage entrance, song drawing, instrument setup / tuning (if any), song performance (one song) stage exit, and all other activities on stage. Competitor is not allowed to read music while performing.
• Open Division (Type A): Best Soloist – Certification and 100,000 Baht.
• Junior Division (Type B): Best Soloist – Certification and 50,000 Baht.
• Open Division (Type A): Alex Sipiagin Group
• Junior Division (Type B): Omer Avital Group